[prog] Re: Re: identifying legacy code and their kernels

Julie Bovee Hill joulie at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 21:03:20 UTC 2007

Hi divya,

On 4/12/07, divya d <dddivaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi julie!
>
> thanks for replying...muthian seems quite dormant.
>
> well i have narrowed down to the kernel version 2.2.13 using the diff
> command, the patch history at linuxhq.com and the lxr
>
> i now have a problem compiling this kernel with the edited files. the
> project has 6 files which are modified kernel files.he 6 files are:

I don't have a solution, but can give some troubleshooting tips.

Did the kernel compile before and after you patched it? (before adding
the 6 files for the project)

How did you apply the changes for the 6 files? Was there a patch? If
so, then you could generate your own patch of the new files to the
kernel you've downloaded and compare that to the patch you had for the
changed files and see if they're the same. If not, then there might
still be a kernel version issue.

Finally, I'm not a kernel compiling expert, but I'm quite sure that
the version of gcc you use can make a difference (as I've read
"discussions" on the matter in the kernel mailing list in the past),
and the default gcc on FC-4 might not be compatible for an older
kernel like 2.2.13. Unfortunately, I don't know what version would be
preferred for that kernel, but maybe someone else on this list will
know and at least it gives you something else to look into.

How are you planning to run this kernel? It might save you some
headaches if you tried virtualization software, such as User-Mode
Linux[1] or Xen[2] or VMWare[3] etc. rather than running it directly
on your computer.

Good luck!
Julie

[1] http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/