[prog] Basic Ruby question - creating apps without shell access

cafeine cafeine at no-log.org
Fri Apr 7 04:40:29 EST 2006

Le Jeudi 6 Avril 2006 20:09, April a écrit :
> This seems like an easy question, but I'm having a depressingly hard
> time finding the answer.  I think I just don't know the right words for it.
>
> My webhost does not give me shell access.  I would like to create a new
> ruby on rails web app.  All of my tutorials say to type "rails
> appname"... My webhost says they have ruby on rails on the server... but
> how do I use it?

I think they want you to develop your RoR application on your machine, then
deploy the resulting files on your web space. Even with shell access, I'd say
it's still easier to have a local Rails installation on which to do your
development. RoR comes prepackaged for a lot of Linux distribution, and I
think I recall seeing an easy install package for windows, with detailed
instructions.

Just my 2 cents, hope they help