[prog] mysqldump- is there a better way

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Wed Sep 21 07:42:27 EST 2005

For a one-time move, I can think of two options:

1. As you are doing, dump contents of the earlier version db and restore
into the more recent version.  With this option, you actually have
several sub-options based on the versions of the mysql client programs
you have.  I am guessing that you've been using mysqldump v. 3.x to make
the dump, and mysql version 4.x to restore?  See if you can make a dump
using the 4.x version of mysqldump, pointing at the 3.x server.  This
may not work due to the version mismatch, but if it does there's a high
liklihood that the restore will go smoothly.

2. Upgrade the installation directly.  For safety & testing, of course,
copy the original database to a new installation of the same version,
and upgrade that.  There is a lot of info on upgrading a MySQL
installation on the MySQL website, and the upgrade from 3.23 to 4.0 page
is here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/upgrading-from-3-23.html

Good luck!
Rachel