[prog] How does linuxchix work? (Mailing list software)

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon Mar 7 22:54:19 EST 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005, Gareth Anderson wrote:
> When faced with a relatively large project like this (where I am not
> familiar with for example security in php or anything), where should I
> start?
> Should I be examining existing mail software (briefly, not reading their code)?
> Or should I simply begin researching implementation options? (after a
> lot of the decision making is complete).

I'd be tempted to look for summaries of typical design decisions in
mailing list software, for example:

 - relevant parts of the SMTP mail protocol [0] including the sections
   on envelopes and on bounce messages
 - unsubscribing people whose address is bouncing [1]
 - the reply-to header debates [2] [3]
 - the List-Id specification [4]
 - problems with the maintainence of large mailing lists [5]

Now, coming up with a mailing list manager that solves a substantial
proportion of the problems raised in these links might be too large a
project, but it might give you a feel for the kind of design decisions
you'd need to make.

Personally, I'd then combine a prototyping phase with some looking at
design decisions made by other projects.

-Mary

[0] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2821.html
[1] http://www.redellipse.net/stuff/Debian/Lists/bounce-handling.story
[2] http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html