[prog] MIF data base program?

Karine Delvare kproot at nerim.net
Wed Apr 6 15:37:56 EST 2005

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:51:35 -0500
ed orphan <millward at Ms.UManitoba.CA> wrote:

> I was just reading about the Desktop Management Interface
> and got an idea for a program I'd like to do. According
> to what I read, DMI can be used to access the MIF data base
> which holds a list of device drivers for the system and data
> on how to configure those drivers.

I think MIF files contain a list of devices, not device drivers. So I'm very surprised they could contain data on how to configure a driver, as they are not dependant to the platform/OS/whatever. Do you have some resources explaining that part? I would be very interested.

> Is there a way to write
> a program that will do the same by using DMI or otherwise?
> My OS is Linux and my language is C.
> ( I bet somebody else has already written something like
> this, but I'd like to know how to do one of my own ).

You can have a look at dmidecode if you don't mind looking at the solution :)

Karine