[prog] tracing tools (was: bash: string comparisons...)

Almut Behrens almut-behrens at gmx.net
Fri May 7 09:18:46 EST 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 01:10:37PM +0200, Riccarda Cassini wrote:
> Btw, if anyone knows whether there are similar debugging tools on those
> platforms, I'd like to know... TIA.

Hi Riccarda,

thought you might still be interested, so I put together a list of the
tracing tools that I know of:

Linux:
  strace
    you know that one already :) -- just for the sake of completeness.
  ltrace
    a similar tool to trace calls to dynamic libraries as well

Sun/Solaris:
  truss
    (as Telsa already mentioned)

IRIX:
  par
    typically, you'll want the options '-s -SS'

HP-UX:
  tusc    (11.x)
    If it's not already on the system:
      ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/tools/tusc7.6.shar
    (this is a shell archive -- just run it to unpack)
    Btw, if you call it as 'truss' it behaves like truss
  trace   (10.20)
    This does not belong to the standard OS distribution, so it might
    not be installed.  You can get the source code from:
      ftp://ftp.interworks.org/pub/comp.hp/trace-1.6.tar.gz
    (After unpacking, type 'make' to compile it. You'll probably have
    to uncomment the line '# include "ioctls.h"' in trace.c, as
    mentioned in the README -- if anything should go wrong, you can
    also have the binary from me, of course)

AIX:
  traceone/traceall
    This is essentially just a wrapper script around the kernel tracing
    interface (trace, trcon, trcstop, trcrpt), which is a little
    cumbersome to use directly.
    If you call it as 'traceone' it traces _one_ process, otherwise all
    processes (this is somewhat suboptimal, but better than nothing...)

If you want, I could send you the latter script (and the 'trace' binary
for HP) -- just let me know.

Sorry for not replying earlier. I was being childish and stupid.
Hope we have this straightened out now... Guess I started. My bad.[1]

Almut

[1] those who dislike the phrase might find this entertaining:
    http://www.zenhaiku.com/archives/is_my_bad_bad.html