[prog] Java/Swing and antialiased fonts

Riccarda Cassini riccarda.cassini at gmx.de
Tue Mar 30 21:50:18 EST 2004

Hi Dan,

thanks for replying.

> Don't let other people look down on you because you're a woman or
> because you're self-taught.

I'll try not to...  Actually, I can't complain. People have been rather
respectful so far. Some more, some less, of course - but people are
different... I always try to tell myself, that - although there are lots
of things I don't know - I'm not stupid (i.e. I'm able to learn). And
that there are some other things which *I* know, that they don't...
That usually helps (a bit) ;-)

> On the other hand, don't feel bad when you have to ask other people for
> help. Any complex field is too broad for any one person to be an expert
> in everything. That's why we're here: to help each other.

I guess I'll be needing lots of help. It's really nice to have a place
where you can ask without fear of being bashed.

> > I'm currently working on an application which I took over from someone
> > else. The client who's paying for it, seems to have made up his mind,
> > that antialiased fonts would look fancier. His wish is my command, so
> > it's my job to find out how to implement that...
>
> Uh, gee, I have some experience with Java but I've never had that
> question before.

I've been told that this client is a little 'special', in that he
places a high emphasis on the visual appearance of an application.
On the other hand, I think that's exactly one the reasons they hired
*me* (with my background in design and layouting), and not one the
other guys with certainly more programming experience. It kind of
was my chance to enter the game :-)
Anyway, I'm trying to do my best to live up to the expectations...

>    public class Foo extends Label {
>
>      public void paint(Graphics g) {
>        Graphics2D g2 = (Graphics2D)g;
>        g2.setRenderingHint(RenderingHints.KEY_ANTIALIASING,
>                            RenderingHints.VALUE_ANTIALIAS_ON);
>        super.paint(g2);
>      }
>    }
>
> Nope, doesn't work, even when I make the font nice and big.

Doesn't look too promising... ;-)

But thanks for trying to help - I appreciate it.

Riccarda