[prog] Java exceptions: finding out the source

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Tue Jun 29 16:01:27 EST 2004

Hi folks,

I'm trying to run someone else's Java program. I've programmed in Java
but I'm by no means an expert, especially when it comes to interaction
between Java and the operating system.

I have access to the code I am trying to run and I'm willing to change
it, but I would appreciate help with getting better error messages.

Somewhere in the code, this exception is being produced:

    Exception in thread "main"

That's the complete error message: no line number, no indication about
what type of Exception was produced, nothing. Further, there's no line
break after that error, I get:

    Exception in thread "main" mary at flay

where "mary at flay" is my bash prompt. I know which line of the code is
producing the error (I just binary searched with print statements) but I
don't have a complete call stack, I only have this very unhelpful error
message.

Any ideas?

-Mary