[prog] Yacc - double errors (EOF detection)

Daniel. cristofd at hevanet.com
Thu Feb 12 02:10:00 EST 2004

>Of course I am only implementing this language as an exercise.  There is a
>little more to it than "hello world" but it is the same general idea.

Right. All I really meant to say is A. an example that size may not
give a good idea of yacc's virtues and deficiencies, B. there is a
lower as well as an upper limit to the range of complexities at which
yacc is useful.

>Let me phrase my question/comment about the use of Yacc a diferent way.  Can
>anyof you give me any stories of instances when you have needed (or chosen)
>to write a compiler, or use Lex or Yacc.

Not outside a CS class, except a compiler in pure C for the tiny
language Yaroslav and I were mentioning, which I wrote because there
wasn't one for Sun machines. Unless you have a particular interest in
languages it's very unlikely that you'll ever need to write a
compiler. It's a little more likely that you would want to use
lex/yacc to read some complex input format sometime, but I don't know
how likely. Sorry to be so unhelpful.
-Daniel.
--
  <<]+<[<+<]]+<<]<[>+<-]>>-]<.[-]>>]http://www.hevanet.com/cristofd/brainfuck/