[prog] can ncurses change screen fonts?

olearyck at slu.edu olearyck at slu.edu
Mon Feb 2 07:45:36 EST 2004

On Monday 02 February 2004 04:38 am, Yaroslav Fedevych wrote:
> ed orphan wrote:
> > I'm writting a simple ncurses program for use
> > on the command line. Does ncurses have any
> > routines for changing the screen font? I'd
> > like bigger printing for both my screen display
> > and the user's input.
> > If ncurses doesn't have the ability to change
> > screen fonts, is there another way?
> > I used to be able to do this in DOS with
> > some x86 assembly.  If I have to, I'll use
> > assembly if someone can give me a hint
> > what to do in Linux.
>
> Probably this is not done with ncurses, as it's very system- and
> terminal-dependent (not everyone uses VGA or compatible things). How it
> is done should be looked up in the documentation of your kernel.

The way I know of to do things like this is to use the framebuffer (its a
kernel option).  While you're at it, if you are using a new enough kernel,
you might want to use bootsplash, and add the bootsplash package to keep your
picture up after the system is done booting.  You can get some really
impressive consoles this way.  I'm using gentoo, and love-sources (search
forums.gentoo.org to find out more about love-sources) and these things work
quite easily with this setup and my hardware.  Just framebuffer at least is
an option on 2.4 kernels also.

Christine