[prog] bash: string comparisons in conditionals

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Apr 23 12:28:47 EST 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 01:10:37PM +0200 or thereabouts, Riccarda Cassini wrote:

> To get some further insight into this, I ran the same tests with
> /bin/sh on some older boxes at work, running under HP-UX 10.20 and
> AIX 4.3 (those are the two platforms I hear my colleagues complaining
> most loudly about, so I figured they might be appropriate for this...).
> I also wanted to do the same strace analysis to see whether 'test'
> actually is being called as an external program by /bin/sh here, but
> unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an strace on those platforms [*].
> Btw, if anyone knows whether there are similar debugging tools on those
> platforms, I'd like to know... TIA.

strace on Linux does the same job as truss on Solaris. Does
truss exist on AIX or HP-UX, perhaps?

> [*] actually, on HP-UX there is some strace program, but it seems to be
> doing something entirely different.  (I did a 'man strace', but what I
> got is about the most incomprehensible manpage I've ever encountered so
> far - haven't got the faintest idea what they're talking about... ;-)

"strace - write STREAMS event trace messages to standard output"?

I have the vague recollection from some time ago that "there are
streams and there are sockets, and they are different ways to
do I/O". Beyond that, I have no idea, except that perhaps streams
are currently not fashionable?

Found the man page on http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=strace&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=HP-UX+10.20&format=html

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi is a wonderful thing.

Actually, that site also tells me that no, there is no man page for
a truss on HP-UX 10.20. It doesn't have AIX manuals, so maybe truss
exists on there?

Telsa