[prog] SQLPLUS error help needed

Cynthia Kiser cnk at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Apr 20 23:25:35 EST 2004

The no listener error might be that you don't have the listener turned
on, but is more likely that you are using an incorrect service
name. What does "lsnrctl status" say? (that is generally in
$ORACLE_HOME/bin/ but if you need the full path, you need to check you
are in the dba group and have set your environment variables to
include Oracle stuff in your PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Did you use the wizard to set up your Oracle Networking?  Unless
you are a fairly experienced DBA, I would suggest at least testing
your Oracle installation by running the Database Configuration
Assistant - it is usually in $ORACLE_HOME/assistants/dbca - and
letting it pick all the defaults. It will ask you to configure your
network stuff after that. Again stick with the defaults.

Looking at your command args system/manager at localhost.localdomain, it
seems like you think that is some kind of TCP type address. You most
likey will have a single word that corresponds to your ORACLE_SID (the
name of your database), unless you have done something really creative
when building your initial database and configuring your Oracle
network parameters.

The permission error looks familiar but I can't recall what mistake I
made t oget it. Check your user, group, and environment vars. Post
back if you have not resolved this.