[prog] OpenGL/Mesa/Glut

Katie Lucas katie at fysh.org
Wed Nov 12 11:38:05 EST 2003

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 04:12:59PM +1000, Sue Stones wrote:

> Thanks James, I realised what the problem was when I woke up this morning.
> (Interesting how the solution to a problem often comes overnight).  Thanks
> for confirming it.  Thanks also for the explanation of how to solve it.
>
> Why does the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS have to be on one line? Is this because it is
> entered at the comand line?  I assume thta on separate lines within the
> makefile would be OK.  I will no doubt find this out.

Yes.

Except in the makefile you need to escape the linebreaks in the macro
assignments. Like this:

FOO = something something_else \
	someother yet_morethings \
	last_thing

Once this has been set, it can be referenced in the command lines with
the $() notation.

Make is stormingly complicated and almost no-one can use it properly,
mostly because there are no books that explain how to use it properly
and very few guides. Do a websearch for an article entitled "Recursive
Make Considered Harmful" because it talks about how to do makefiles
properly. It's a bit high level, but it has working examples of things
to look at.