[prog] Data flow diagrams(DFD)

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Tue Jun 24 11:29:46 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 10:13, Sachin wrote:
> Dear ladies and gentlemen,
>
>                                     What is the correct way to draw a DFD
> for a project?Each book has a  different terminology,have in differences in
> notations and symbols and none of them mentions a standard proceedure on how
> to draw a DFD from a System Design.Is it a free style drawing(meaning it
> depends on individuals preferences) or should conform to some standards?

It depends on the purpose you're putting it to. If you're going to be
publishing it in an academic context, you should probably find a
standard (preferably from some suitably academic source) and stick to
it.

If you're doing it to do a design for a programming company or
organisation, you should find out if there's an in-house standard, and
stick to that.
If there isn't and your company/organisation likes to use standards, you
should grab a few standards you think would be generally useful within
your company, make up some pros and cons, and talk to the head of IT
asking him to pick a standard and offering your preference.

If you're doing it for yourself and a small team, use what works for
you.

Jenn V.
   My book 'Essential CVS': published by O'Reilly in June 2003.
jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/