[prog] Member variables in Perl

Dan Richter daniel.richter at wimba.com
Thu Jun 12 10:47:09 EST 2003

Hi everyone.

Perl has the peculiarity of implementing each object as a hash, with its
member variable names as keys and the values as values. (Sure, you don't
HAVE to do it that way - There Is More Than One Way To Do It [TIMTOWDY] -
but in most cases it's the only sane way.)

This introduces the possibility of collisions between parent class and
subclass data. Are there any generally accepted ways of avoiding such
collisions?

========== Dan Richter ============== mailto:Dan at wimba.com ===========
   BOOT MAGAZINE: Do you consider yourself a celebrity?
   LINUS TORVALDS: Sometimes. ... But at the same time I don't have
         young girls coming and screaming at me and throwing their
         underwear! Which is just as well, as I'm a married man!