[prog] Re: [Techtalk] How to write web proxy in Python?

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Fri Jan 10 11:19:14 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003, jennyw wrote:
> Others may disagree, but I find that both languages are reasonably
> comparable in terms of ability to finish tasks.  The big difference is
> syntax and coding style -- it's generally a lot easier to read a
> random stranger's Python code than a random stranger's Perl code.  And
> also available libraries.

I simply can't make that comparison because I'm not a good Perl
programmer. *My* Perl programs take longer to develop and are longer
than my Python programs, but I'm a bad Perl programmer :)

> Another language you might want to compare with is Ruby. Ruby is newer
> than either Perl or Python and there are a lot of OO programmers
> (including Smalltalkers) are enthusiastic about it.

I don't know Ruby at all, so someone bilingual (*grin*) in either Perl
and Ruby or Python and Ruby, might want to do a comparison.

-Mary