[prog] State of software engineering profession

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Tue Apr 15 02:34:19 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 21:14, Jimen Ching wrote:

> To avoid any confusion.  Let me elaborate what I mean.  Because of this
> 'show us the code' mentality, the programmer is implying that it is ok to
> skip the design phase.

Ok. Here's where I jump to my feet and say 'What the hell are you
talking about?'

'show us the code' means 'produce something, and we'll listen'. That can
be a well-thought-through design.

> As a result of this lack of planning, defects are
> often introduced.  But as long as the 'feature' is added, that's ok.

Um. Again, not anywhere around me, it isn't.

Jenn V.
   My book 'Essential CVS': published by O'Reilly in June 2003.
jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/