[prog] State of software engineering profession

Andrea Landaker qirien at icecavern.net
Mon Apr 14 08:29:12 EST 2003

> So, move this conversation to the next stage. What are your proposals?
> Where have you tried them? If you haven't, why will they work when
> others have failed? How do they compare with existing best practice? How
> do they fit in with Free Software development models?

Hmm, well, this is kind of related to the discussion here -- if you're
interested in improving software engineering, I would highly recommend
reading The Programmer's Stone -
http://www.reciprocality.org/Reciprocality/r0/ (at least read the first
chapter; it stands by itself fairly well).  It talks about assembly-line
versus individual styles of programming, and management, and modes of
thinking that lead to good programming vs. modes of thinking that lead to bad
programming.

I would be very interested to hear people's responses to this.

--
Andrea Landaker
http://www.icecavern.net/~qirien/