[prog] State of software engineering profession

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Mon Apr 14 20:31:51 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 20:21, Jimen Ching wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Apr 2003, Jenn Vesperman wrote:
> >How often do you find people - programmers, sysadmins, etc - screaming
> >at major companies precisely because their products DON'T follow the
> >standards? Around me, it's very, very frequent.
>
> That's good.  I'm glad there are people actually doing this.  I guess
> we'll just need to wait until the entire industry starts screaming, and
> then we'll finally reach the same state as the railroad industry
> concerning time keeping.

And a lot of them. But it's not the industry - not the workers, not the
programmers and tech support personnel and sysadmins and tech writers -
who have the ability to actually DO anything effective about it.

Not while there are pointy-haired types who feel that as long as they
make their product Unique, they can 'get Lock-In' from the customers.
And not while there are (enough) customers who accept that deal.

Jenn V.
Cynic.
   My book 'Essential CVS': published by O'Reilly in June 2003.
jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/