[prog] GhostScript

Sue Stones suzo at bigpond.net.au
Thu Apr 10 13:48:51 EST 2003

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:04 am, Almut Behrens wrote:

> ...nice to see that there's someone trying to learn one of the more
> "exotic" programming languages like PostScript :)
>
> Have you come across the PostScript Language Reference Manual by Adobe?
> It's THE reference documentation on PosctScript. It's available as a
> regular paper book, but you can also download it for free as a PDF
> file (7.5 MB) directly from Adobe:

Thanks for the links, I had sen the manual in Google, but thought it would be
too much information for my very first investigations.  But since you have
suggested it I have downloaded it.  And now that I have managed to get
something to work, I feel I will be able to read it more easily.

> You might try to tell gs explicitly to use the x11 device driver, via
> -sDEVICE=x11 (or -sDEVICE=x11alpha -- the anti-aliasing version of it).
> "gs -h" should display a list of available devices. The first one in
> the list (determined at compile time) should be the default, IIRC.

This worked, thanks. x11 is not the first one it the list, so at somestage I
will probably recompile it.

I have managed to get postscript to draw a graph with 2 lines of data, (one
dotted) a key, axes with tick marks properly placed numbers, axes labled with
one lable rotated 90degrees, and a title.  The postscript code to do this is
produced by java.  I am quite chuffed with the result!  8-)

Thanks to those that have helped.

sue