[prog] Re: [Courses] [C] network programming

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Tue Oct 15 13:28:40 EST 2002

> > I've got a client and server, which sends UDP packets to each other.
> > The client seems to have sent a packet but the server doesn't seem to
> > be getting it. Below is a snippet of the relevant code (from the server
> > side) in question:
>
> > Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong?
>
> This may be a networks issue.  If you're reasonably certain that your code
> is correct, talk to your network admin people the ensure that the server
> is listening for connections on the correct port (usually 1645) from your
> client machine.
>
> If your server isn't configured to accept those connections your client
> can send them all it likes but they'll be dumped at the network level and
> you'll be none the wiser.

I forgot to say that if you can configure your client to accept
connections on port 1645 then see if you can test the server (or even a
simplified version) on your client and have the client connect to it on
port 1645. If that works fine then it's a clear sign that the UDP packets
are blocked at a network level.

	Jacinta