[prog] On Perl

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Fri Oct 11 15:13:57 EST 2002

At 8:44 PM -0700 10/11/02, kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net wrote:
>Just wanted to ask the more experieced if it is necessary to
>memorize all the regex syntax. My understanding is if I can do it
>from Learning Perl it will suffice and the Programming Perl's regex
>will come in handy over the years of usage.

Memorize Regex syntax????? Gosh no. I code in perl everyday, and I've
never memorized syntax. you learn it over time, but I have the
O'Reilly book (well worth it) "Mastering Regular Expressions" that is
well dogeared and bookmarked and I use it all the time.

I also happen to be one of those types that only uses regexes when
needed, as opposed to some people, who use them just because they
can. It's my personal preference. I like my code to be reasonable for
me and others to read. I have a hard enough time remembering what I
was thinking when I coded something, if I had to retranslate some
regex to figure out what I was doing, that just adds to the time.
--
.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Technology Consulting
tech at murrain.net     http://www.murrain.net
413-253-2874 ph
413-222-6350 cell
413-825-0288 fax
AIM:pearlbear0 Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575

"A vocation is where the world's hunger & your great gladness meet."
Frederick Buechner