[prog] XML/XSLT/perl strangeness

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Tue Dec 10 09:08:21 EST 2002

Okay, I'm not sure whether I'll get the answer to this, since it's
relatively... obscure I guess.

I have written a perl script for processing XSLT files.  This perl
script uses the two perl modules XML::LibXML and XML::LibXSLT (which in
turn interface with the GNOME XML and XSLT libraries).
Now, most of the time, everything is fine and dandy.
However, when I process a certain kind of file, AND I happen to be
on-line at the time, the program sits there and, according to my online
activity meter, it appears to be downloading something.

So, I went back to the drawing board, looked at the docs for
XML::LibXML, and set the following to false, to try to ensure
that the program isn't trying to get things from Outside:
- validation is off
- load_ext_dtd is off (not that there was an external DTD in the file)
- even expand_entities is off, as a desperate measure.

Didn't make any difference.  The darn thing is still sitting there
downloading something.

The file itself is very simple: the format is
<report>
<report_file>
<report_fname>Artist_Vangelis.html</report_fname>
<report_value>Vangelis</report_value>
</report_file>
</report>

There's no DTD and no external entities at all.  So what the heck is the
silly thing doing?

The XSLT stylesheet that I'm running over this XML file has some
embedded perl, but that perl doesn't go and grab anything external
either.

Of course, I'm making an assumption that it's this script which is doing
it; since I can't track what it's doing or what it's connecting to
(don't know how), yet, it is a coincidence of timing not to be ignored,
considering that I'm not doing anything else which downloads things at
the same time as this.

Does anyone know what's causing it?

The other strange thing is that when I'm not on-line, it doesn't appear
to bother to try downloading anything.

Kathryn Andersen