[Jobposts] Linux sysadmin

Julia Villagra julia at hudson-trading.com
Tue Jun 24 22:43:43 UTC 2014

Hi LinuxChix,

We're looking for a sysadmin to join our team at HRT. This job is based in NYC.

Working as a sysadmin at Hudson River Trading (HRT) means working on a
small, highly productive and efficient team. We know you see "Trading"
in our name and assume you'll be relegated to some dark corner to code
for the "business" but this impression is entirely wrong. At HRT, a
fully automated trading firm based in NYC, the computers you build and
manage *are* our business, so it is everyone's job to make sure the
systems team has everything they need to do their jobs well.

So, we are looking for all-star sysadmins who like being challenged,
hate to climb corporate ladders, and don't mind the added bonus of
having hard work rewarded through recognition and very competitive
compensation. At HRT, sysadmins are integral to the success of our
trading, and they know it. You can always expect to be challenged by
the ever-changing financial markets, and find yourself working on
critical projects in an extremely fast-paced, real-time environment.

Sysadmins @ HRT
System Administrators manage state-of-the-art servers and networking
equipment in our datacenters.  Responsibilities are broad and include
hardware and software installation and configuration, tool
development, automation, monitoring, performance tuning, testing new
hardware, and planning changes.  We are jacks-of-all-trades who can
effectively multitask yet retain a high attention to detail that keeps
our systems running as efficiently as possible.

Technical Skills:
*Extensive knowledge of Linux/UNIX operating systems (we use Debian and FreeBSD)
*Python and shell scripting experience
*Familiarity with systems configuration management and monitoring technologies
*Understanding of network protocols and file systems
*Experience installing and troubleshooting server hardware
*Experience with Debian packaging and policy is a plus

Other Requirements:
*BS / MS in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or related field
*Ability to manage time efficiently, working independently and on a team
*Ability to fix and analyze problems quickly
*Ability to learn quickly and apply new skills effectively

Culture:
HRT has a casual and open office atmosphere.  We have a flat
management structure because our people are motivated by a culture
that promotes hard work and intellect over corporate politics.  Having
created an environment that blends the laid back feeling of a tech
start up with the excitement and pace of a trading floor, it’s not
surprising that people work hard because they love what they do and
are constantly challenged.  We maintain our balance by eating
breakfast and lunch together, or at the end of a long day, unwinding
over a heated game of foosball.

Additional Perks:
Highly competitive compensation
100% medical and dental coverage
4 weeks of paid vacation
Jeans and T-shirt dress code
On-site gourmet chef
On-site fitness room
On-site game room with arcade console, foosball, ping pong, rock band, etc.
Frequent social outings, trips and company activities

Please apply online at www.hudson-trading.com/apply. Feel free to

Julia Villagra
HR & Recruiting @ HRTjulia at hudson-trading.com