[Jobposts] web developer wanted-- drupal shop

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Apr 24 19:42:03 UTC 2013

Hi All,

My company needs a 3/4 to full-time Web designer and Drupal
dev. Maybe contract, maybe hire. We're on a managed
cloud host (Acquia), so code changes are under version control.
Currently Subversion, and in the near future Git. If you are not
familiar with using version control don't let that stop you, because I
will be your dev sandbox coach. This is a good company to work for,
with good people and a great boss. If this looks like something you can
handle please contact me off-list. US only, East coast preferred,
someone who can actually visit the NYC office is greatly desired.
(Though remote is a possibility for the right person)

Special message for women: If you don't meet these requirements exactly
don't let that hold you back! Talk to me.

The skills we're looking for are:

=====================

HTML and CSS changes to existing templates to fix bugs, build layouts,
and improve UX. Being able to construct a basic web page in HTML, CSS,
and JS/jQuery (simple) is an important part of this position. Being
comfortable in a web inspector to find issues and having access to
multiple browsers (including mobile) to test new and existing layouts
is part of this skill set.

PHP and Drupal API code to theme new views, add basic features, and
troubleshoot problems. The key here is a strong grasp of PHP and a
general idea of how themes and modules come together to build the site.
Drupal can be learned without too much trouble (we have someone that
will walk you through the basics of how the site is built out) but
having a basic idea of how CMS APIs work and the PHP to make it all
come together is important. We're currently in Drupal 6 but migrating
to Drupal 7 as you read this.

Internal tech support related to admin tasks, style and theme issues,
general web technology. This could be bug squashing, questions about
functionality, and inquiries about add-ons.

External email tech support related to site features. We have an email
box that collects questions and comments from our users. Some of this
is delegated to our content team but some relate to functionality
issues that need to be addressed.

---

Bonus points if you:

... can make your way around a PSD, provide feedback, and make simple
changes. Having a sense of what looks "good" and "bad" on a web page is
good to have in this role.

... have a concept of how SEO works and what, generally, contributes to
"good" and "bad" SEO so you can make good decisions about architecture.

... have any technical writing experience, professional or otherwise.
Creating documents that can inform internal and external users makes
you more efficient and will help you take less time for each task in
the future. Even just a good list of steps in a Google Doc or email can
help out greatly.

---

Social Media Today is an independent,
online community for professionals in PR, marketing, advertising, or
any other discipline where a thorough understanding of social media is
mission-critical. Every day, we provide insight and host lively debate
about the tools, platforms, companies and personalities that are
revolutionizing the way we consume information. All of our content is
contributed by our members and curated by our editorial staff.

Social Media Today is located in New
York, New York. While a candidate in this area is not required, we'd
love to be able to have someone in the office with us as much as
possible. That said, we've had people doing this job virtually more
often than not so it's not a deal breaker. Having some experience
working in a distributed office environment would be helpful if that's
the case.

Social Media Today is
looking to grow traffic and the user base over the next few years as we
have in the past. We're looking for someone to join our team and help
us stay technologically sound and stable through this growth. We have a
high-quality managed host so server management skills are not required
for this job. We also have a full-size, talented content team that
handles promotion, marketing, and community management so this is very
much a technical position.

--
Carla Schroder