[Jobposts] Electronic Frontier Foundation seeks sys admin

Liz Henry lizzard at bookmaniac.net
Fri Jan 23 19:51:33 UTC 2009

I don't work for the EFF, but I hang out there and can see it's a great
place to work and not only that, it's a great place for women to work.

- Liz

http://www.eff.org/about/opportunities/jobs/sysadmin

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), an Internet civil liberties
nonprofit organization based in San Francisco, is seeking a fulltime
Systems Administrator to work in our Mission District office.

The sysadmin at EFF is a support position, keeping EFF's systems and
networks running securely while also providing hardware and software
technical support for EFF's staff of 30. The ideal candidate must work
well with a very busy staff with varying levels of technical expertise.
EFF's sysadmin is on call 24x7 for response to systems emergencies.

The ideal candidate must have three to five years of systems
administration experience. In addition, the candidate must meet or
exceed Sage level "Intermediate/Advanced." (See:
http://www.sage.org/field/jobs-descriptions.html#Intermediate .)

A successful candidate will be able to administer a wide variety of
different operating systems, including Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Linux, and
Windows. This position also requires knowledge of server applications
including Apache, Mailman, Postfix, MySQL, and Samba. The candidate
should be able to write administrative utilities in at least one
language, such as Perl, Python, Unix shell or C/C++.

Since this position includes desktop support, knowledge of Mac OS X and
desktop applications including Mail, Thunderbird, and MS Office is
required. We're looking for a person who will make sure that backups and
recommended updates are done scrupulously.

--

Liz Henry
liz at blogher.com
liz at bookmaniac.net
http://liz-henry.blogspot.com

"Without models, it's hard to work; without a context, difficult to
evaluate; without peers, nearly impossible to speak." -- Joanna Russ