[Jobposts] Democracy Now! seeks Systems Administrator (fulltime NYC)

mike castleman mlc at democracynow.org
Wed Aug 27 17:38:02 UTC 2008

http://www.democracynow.org/about/jobs#sysadmin

Immediate opening for full-time Systems Administrator

Democracy Now! is a daily, non-profit, national, independent news hour
based in New York City. Our public website, which is is visited by tens
of thousands of users daily, features the news hour every day in a
variety of video, audio, and transcript formats, and also features a
store selling copies of the program. Internally, we maintain a
heterogeneous network of client and server computers to process, store,
and record the show and its components and to support our general office
and distribution operations. Democracy Now! is hiring a full-time
Systems Administrator with extensive Linux experience to maintain,
support, and extend these systems.

RESPONSIBILITIES

    * Implement, maintain, and monitor the computer network and internal
servers, including our internet connection, firewall, and shared printer
resources.
    * Provide desktop technical support to staff and volunteers,
primarily on an Apple OS X platform.
    * Coordinate with external consultants and service providers who are
responsible for some aspects of our technical operations.
    * Architect and, where practical, develop web sites and applications
for public and internal use.
    * Research and suggest cost effective products and solutions which
may improve organizational workflow.

QUALIFICATIONS

As a small organization with limited IT staff but diverse technological
needs, we seek to hire someone who can work with a wide variety of
technologies and quickly learn new technologies.

Experience configuring and maintaining GNU/Linux servers and an ability
to create and maintain bash shell scripts are essential. The ideal
candidate will also have experience with some or all of the following
technologies: Free Software media processing tools including ffmpeg,
mencoder, sox, dvgrab, and MP4Box; programming languages including Perl,
Ruby on Rails, and Python; Apple OS X and Microsoft Windows desktop and
application support, ideally including Final Cut Pro and Filemaker Pro;
version-control systems such as Subversion and git; firewall maintenance
with OpenBSD and pf; and web technologies including HTML, CSS, and XML.

Also essential are the abilities to manage several simultaneous projects
and to research, select, and integrate new technologies. Experience in a
non-profit or media environment is preferred, as is an interest in
independent media and non-commercial television.

This is a full-time New York City-based position with benefits and
salary based on experience. Democracy Now! is an Equal Opportunity
Employer that actively recruits women, people of color, persons with
disabilities, and persons with diverse gender and sexual identities.

To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter (PDF or plain text
formats only) to job at democracynow.org with “Systems Administrator” as
the subject. No phone calls.