[Jobposts] Sr. Sys Admin - Santa Barbara, CA

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Thu Jul 24 09:27:26 EST 2003

Greetings all-

This is a job posting for the position I'm currently leaving.  I love
the job and my fellow techs, but for personal reasons need to move out
to NY, so I'll be leaving them in the near-future.  I'll be happy to
talk more about it if anyone's interested! If so, please email me at
bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu.

The description and instructions for application are up at UCSB's HR
site here:

    http://hr.ucsb.edu/Employment/jb.shtml

The job I'm leaving is with the Physics Department (although there are
other tech jobs listed there as well!).  Below is a copy of the job
description.  Again, let me know if you have any questions...

-Brian

Senior Systems Administrator
[TECHNO III, COMP & NETWORK-SUP]
PHYSICS DEPT
Job Number: 2003-07-030
Salary: $4,072 - $5,704/mo.

Opening Date:
07-21-2003
Apply By:
8-15-2003

*Duties: *Under direction, acts as a systems manager, providing
technology leadership, management and computing services to a large
subset of users within the department and its satellite entities.
Oversees maintenance, security and support of complex multivendor Linux,
Unix and Microsoft Windows in both server and workstation functions.
Responsible for the operation, maintenance, and customer support of
several departmental services including file, application,
authentication, web, email, VPN, domain/name servers, and network
infrastructure. Stays abreast of current technology developments to
develop/update faculty and staff computer systems and servers.

*Minimum Requirements: *Advanced knowledge of various popular Linux
(RedHat, Debian) and Unix (Solaris) systems. Diverse knowledge of
different computing hardware platforms. Ability to write shell
programming, build and install vendor-supplied and open-source
application and OS software packages, and debug them. Extensive hardware
knowledge to diagnose network, workstation and PC troubles.
Understanding of data communications and networking, including TCP/IP
(routing) and Ethernet (switching, VLANS). Ability to effectively
communicate both verbally and in writing with technical and nontechnical
personnel.

*Desirable: *Advanced knowledge of Microsoft desktop and server
operating systems.