[IndiChix] Unresolved issues [was] LC-india domain

Kingsly John member+indichix at kingsly.net
Fri Jan 2 06:52:55 UTC 2009

+++ Sriram Narayanan [2009-01-02 11:24:56]:

> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Kingsly John
> <member+indichix at kingsly.net> wrote:
> > +++ Vid Ayer [2009-01-02 08:21:11]:
> >
> >> That said, I'd request people to stop jumping to conclusions and
> >> fuelling or sidetracking the moot issue : how do we keep the
> >> linuxchix.org.in domain with the project. Suggestions are welcome but
> >> trolling, and nastiness is not.
> >
> > I think Atul made it clear that they aren't going to give up on the domain.
> >

> On the recent thread, there isn't an explicit refusal by Atul. We need
> to have that on the list for the purpose of transparency and for the
> record.
>
> All that he has said is that members could go start off another group.

No. He and his group are going to start another one and they plan to use the
existing domain for that.

The community is defined by the people and the work they do. And as far as
this one goes the people are on the list. And the list admins have confirmed
that there is no mass exodus and the list is actually growing.

Personally it's better put our efforts into something more positive/rewarding
than just getting back the domain.(Not that getting it back wouldn't be a
good thing.)

> In the interests of setting a precedent for getting domain admin rights to
> the active and recognized leaders of this list, I would vote that we make
> documented and public efforts to get an answer from the existing domain
> owners. We need to explicitly state just why we want this even though the
> existing domain name owners have every legal right to hold on to the the
> domain name that they have renewed.
>
> If we don't get a response in a reasonable period of time, then we can
> state that as well on the list, and then move to Plan B.
>
> Having a written record of everything thing would only help us as a
> community in the long run.

Agreed. Lets send a final mail... and CC the official list too like Vid's
original mail. And suggest a list of 3 people to be nominated as the various
contacts for the domain. (It might require for the domain to be renewed for
another year at the cost of around US$10-20 depending on the registrar)

My suggestion is we give them a deadline of say Jan 15th to transfer domain
over to the following three as the contacts.

My nominations for the contacts are...

Archu archu.oct at gmail.com
Gayathri Swaminathan gayathri.swa at gmail.com
hassath  hassath at gmail.com
(You might have to provide your full names and other contact info if
necessary.)

Which should also blow a hole into their conspiracy theory about Vid wanting
"control" and expose their unwillingness to let go of the domain at any cost.

Kingsly
     Kingsly At Users Dot SourceForge Dot Net  -- http://kingsly.org/