[IndiChix] Content retrival : Wiki content needed

hassath at gmail.com hassath at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 02:35:20 UTC 2009

Hi.

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Sriram Narayanan <sriramnrn at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Sriram Narayanan <sriramnrn at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm sending the contents to Vidya, Hassath, Radha, Gayathri, and
>> Kadambari. Anyone else interested in this file, please send me a
>> direct email.

Thanks, Sriram. I'm back from a weekend out of town, and very happy to
see the progress made over that time. Sorry that I couldn't be of more
help.

I wanted to give a bit of history about this dump to the list. When
wiki content retrieval was being discussed earlier, all the
suggestions that did come up either needed admin access to the wiki
(which we don't have) or were plain grunt work- copy and paste
contents of the wiki page by page onto text files and then see how to
recreate it.
I was wiling to do the grunt work, but uncomfortable that no other way
was obvious to me, or the other members.
A short while before leaving town (on January 29th, to be precise), I
imposed on a friend to spend some precious time on doing some quick
research about taking a mediawiki dump. He managed to help me get an
xml dump of the entire wiki, and point us towards the kind of modules
and commands that could be useful.
Since I neither had the time nor the skill to check out this dump, I
sent it on to Sriram, since I wasn't sure what exactly could be done
with it. Sriram immediately took it further, doing some more research,
and taking help from his friend Ketan as he mentions. Vidya was also
there physically, helping out in whatever way she can, I am sure. It
involved quite a bit of time, effort and goodwill on the part of these
people, and I wanted to make sure that it was mentioned here. Please
pass on thanks from the IndiChix to your friend Ketan, Sriram. And
thanks to both you and Vid again (and please don't fall ill because of
the gratitude ;-)

I have sent this mail to clarify to the list some of the details of
how this came about, and also to thank the people who did all the
work. All too often the effort of people in voluntary situations is
taken for granted and goes unappreciated. Just wanted to make sure
that doesn't happen here now.

--
- Hassath