[IndiChix] [Status Update] Domain name change + website hosting move

Gayathri Swaminathan gayathri.swa at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 18:09:15 UTC 2009

Hi:

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 11:27 AM, VidAyer <vid at svaksha.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Sriram Narayanan <sriramnrn at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. why is ssh access important for those maintaining the server
> (eg..to take backups, set permissions, etc...). Positives and
> negatives of no ssh access.

Pro would be to perform regular systems administrative tasks such as
maintenance of web server/ patching/ backups/ mysql (backend for
mediawiki) maintenance. This is a great learning opportunity for
someone who has volunteered and is willing to learn how to maintain a
Linux Server.

Usually hosting services give only "certain" escalated access and not
all access typical to root user in a shared hosting scenario. Not
certain, if LC-IN can get a dedicated server which will help
collaborative work - the volunteering sysadmins can teach volunteers
willing to learn.

> 2. Importance of data transfer availablity.

Not clear of this question. Are they asking if we want a possibility
to transfer data off-site or elsewhere? - as in a remote backup
scenario.

--
Gayathri Swaminathan
gpgkey: 3EFB3D39