[IndiChix] Libre Labs for women

Vid.A vid at svaksha.com
Thu Oct 2 16:11:40 UTC 2008

Hello,

CC'ing Vounteers and Grrltalk lists.

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Ajay Kumar <ajuonline at gmail.com> wrote:
> Update:

>>> That's great. Hope to hear some good news soon.
>>
>> I was directed to the appropriate person. And I was told, that "its in the
>> air" at the moment. So I will need to wait a "few weeks". But sure, I have
>> been connected with the right person from their office, US. So lets still
>> stay hopeful!
>> Meanwhile, we can plan out things and try for other options as well. Let
>> me know where I can be of help.
>
> I talked to the person directly, they have few PCs but they wont be able to
> donate as the hard disks can not be given away for security reasons. On the

...understandable.

> other hand, they might be willing to send in some funds. But are we in a
> situation to handle funds?

as an organisation? Not really. AFAIK, the Indian chapter is not
registered in India**1 so donations cannot be transfered on the
organisation name.  In this scenario it will have to be undertaken on
an individual level but afaik, companies may be reluctant to
individuals, unless the trust levels are high.

That said, the main LC.org  is also not registered. IIRC, there had
been discussions about trademarks, etc...  in the past, so to rekindle
that discussion on the lists for everyone's feedback, I am forwarding
your mail to the volunteers and grrl-talk list (where men are allowed
to subscribe).  Our main server is sponsored and those who were
involved in dealing with the sponsors would be able to throw more
light on this. Correct me if wrong, please.

If Google insists on donating only to the organisation we will have to
see how to handle it on a case-case **2 basis.

**1 Earlier there was a discussion on Indichix and Volunteers list but
it didnt gather momentum for various reasons.  Any kind of
formalisation process (3 types of org's) needs a charter, elected
members, lotsa paperwork, etc... WHICH would require a higher amount
of participation from the local women. It would also require regular
maintenance (accountbooks have to be in order, must be open and
transparent and available to concerned scrutiny, tax returns have to
be filed annually, etc...) in terms of manpower and individual effort.
If we get enough women volunteers, it can be discussed on the list.

**2  In any case I could ask some folks I know to help us out in this instance.

If anyone has better solutions to take this further please suggest.

Please keep the grrltalk and volunteer lists in the CC.

--
Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com ||