[IndiChix] Bangalore Meeting Minutes :: 2008Jan19

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 09:01:53 UTC 2008

LCIN_Bangalore had a meeting at Christ college on Saturday, 19Jan2008.

Meeting Minutes for ::  2008Jan19

People who attended :

1]Ankita Garg
2]Vid Ayer
3]Vikram Vincent
4]Balachander (reporter who came to cover the meeting)

MINUTES
========

After waiting for a while the members present started discussions
which went on till 4:45pm.

0] LCIN meetup notice in Bangalore Mirror
We were informed that the article (press draft) that was approved on
the list on Friday was not used at all. Rather the notice about the
meetup was printed in Bangalore Mirror's "Entertainment" section.
Since Balu had not brought any copies to the meeting none of us could
read it.

ToDo/Goal : We need to discuss the merits/demerits of how LCIN is
projected in the local press, especially in the mainstream media.

1] Our Website : www.linuxchix.org.in
We got some feedback about the website :

- Currently it does not provide requisite information to a visitor
(who gets lost among the bytes).
- poor design (skin's)
- information is not sequentially/logically ordered.
- site does not scale well [www.linuxchix.org.in directs to a page
with an indian flag + Linuxchix R0X0R]
- the wiki is confusing when information is not available logically
and people tend to get lost (as in keep searching continually)
- confusion about LC, LCIN and Indichix, whether they are the same or
different entities.

ToDo/Goal :
1.1]  work towards creating a task based team (for design, content,
etc) depending on skill/interest level to finish the website design
and content quickly.
1.2] find female sysadmin volunteers who will maintain the site.

2] Promoting Free Software locally.
It was suggested that we LCIN undertake the task of promoting FLOSS
projects and increase users locally.  However being a fledging group
it does not have the requisite members to stretch ourselves that thin
and/or replicate the activity of local LUG groups. Regarding FLOSS
projects, its better to think long-term and contribute upstream and
not create islands/pockets of excellence locally.
.
ToDo/Goal :
2.1] Educate and Encourage women to contribute (upstream) to projects
like Debian, Apache, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc..
2.2] Organise meet-up's with technical focus.

3] FLOSS scenario in India.
The floss scenario in India vis-a-vis
- few volunteers,
- conferences,
- access to information (and the lack thereof),
- low floss usage levels in teir2 cities/villages,
- lower community out-reach,
etc...were discussed.

--- --- --- END Minutes --- --- ---

The following is connected to points above, hence am including the
LCIN status information in this mail for further discussion on the
list :

1.3] Site Infrastructure : Currently Vaibhav is hosting it (thanks :))
but none of the grrls here have ssh access. Since its his private
server it may not be possible for him to do so. Hence I suggest LCIN
looks for alternative hosting facilities which will allow us to
complete #1, #1.1 and #1.2 listed above quickly.

Vaibhav, as suggested in an earlier mail, could you kindly transfer
the domain registration to someone local, read female volunteers in
India and also keep one of the Tres Chix in the loop. I believe most
registrars allow 2 or 3 contacts (admin, billing and tech ?).

For the 3 contact points, I suggest 2 names from : Ankita, Aneesha,
Barkha, Runa, Archu since they have been actively involved in it. The
third could be one of the Tres'Chix : Akkana Peck, Carla Schroder, or
Sulamita Garcia,  (just incase we women decide to do the disappearing
act someday ;-))

Grrls, We do need to get things in order so can we put this to vote please ?

Also, I have spoken to the TresChix about hosting so if we have a show
of hands (as in grrls willing to help out) it can be pushed ahead.

Thoughts/comments ?

Thanks,
--
Vid