[IndiChix] Chix Semantics

Gayathri Swaminathan gayathri.swa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 19:19:07 UTC 2008

> So, if we cld run with this question a bit longer, what do others
> think of the "gendered image" of the geek ?
> [And by extension I guess I am also asking, what can Indichix do to
> address issues of image, or do u think this is relevant at all?]
>

> I can only relate my personal experiences here.

Do we have "gendered image" now? Back in my school/undergrad days
(1980-1990s) , there were no such distinctions. It was more about the
scores, getting the merits and enrollment into Engineering colleges or
Medicine :)

To give you precise statistics in my class of Computer science and
Engineering there were 41 men and 41 women. And in my first job even, when I
related well with OS/ Server deployments my immediate manager
mentored/encouraged me to march right on to establish my career in Systems
and Network administration. Since then I have changed jobs many times ( in
Systems and Network administration area) and it has been that way so far.

What has in fact been surprising to me is the other realm here. When I was
doing my Masters here I noticed there were very less women enrolling
engineering, science or math majors. Not kidding! but there were only 4 or 5
girls in my Masters! But, I digress.

Think one of the main considerations for me with indichix is, think we have
the necessary elements from our community:

- Eagerness
- Open mindedness to explore OSS

With little mentoring, prod along the right direction ( there is some
already good resource here) if we can involve more and more junta from
college/schools we would could contribute significantly. Imagine the
possibilities,

- Code camps to squash OSS bugs
- Bug Triage meetings
- Documentation meetings

etc., or am I just dreaming on ;)

Thanks Kavita! you have raised some interesting questions/concerns here. And
thanks Vidya for being the super coordinator as always you are :)