[IndiChix] [Volunteers] Structure of LinuxChix_India.

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 10:01:40 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Jan 5, 2008 10:13 PM, Runa Bhattacharjee <runa.misc at gmail.com> wrote:
> 6. Vidya Ayer.
> Email admins: Archana and Vidya

umm... my plan is groom successors (besides the existing women) and
hand over the baton, leaving me to pursue technical interests.

> Although this is a group aimed at helping Indian women contribute to FOSS projects, it was a
> surprise at the amount of support that we received from the entire Indian FOSS community to help us
> get started. The parent LinuxChix organisation allows each chapter to the address the issue related
> to gender-neutrality for themselves. The Indian Chapter has promoted itself as an open group since
> its initial days. Perhaps it would make sense to clearly define the chapter's stance about the

yes and when the topic for a website came up in dec 2005, the domain
was registered without any discussion which I may have been done with
good intentions but why not give it to the women involved in the local
chapter now ? I am sure Vaibhav thinks the girls are capable enough to
manage things for themselves.

That said, Participation != decision making and control, .... so i
would be interesting in seeing how this community defines and refines
this process.  There are a lot of groups that the men can associate
and run with (local LUG's being one) so I vote to leave the decision
making and control of a woman's group to women only.

> granularity of participation levels. Speaking for myself, I would perhaps not be able to thank
> enough, all the men who have been supporting the cause as their own.

Supporting women != making decisions for women. Correct me if am wrong.
For me Christian's [1] mail to the DW list, which i forwarded to our
old list, kind of sums it up.
[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-women/2007/12/msg00013.html

> I'd vote against this unless we have a clear identity and understand how the group is growing.

my sentiments exactly conveyed in a circular fashion, contained in the
snipped portions of my earlier mail.
--
~Vid
||  http://www.svaksha.com ||