[IndiChix] [IndiChiz] Notes from LCIN talk at FOSSkriti

Nirbheek Chauhan nirbheek.chauhan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 20:09:57 UTC 2008

On Feb 20, 2008 11:58 PM, Ankita Garg <gargankita at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Next is the issue that has been in our radar for quite sometime but has not
> received much attention, that of the 'Chix' terminology. There were folks
> who were not too happy about this name being used, as in India atleast, it
> is not always used in a positive connotation and is frowned upon. I agree
> with Runa here, that though we want to leverage and build upon the brand
> image of LinxChix.org, it would be great to have an Indian touch/flavor to
> it. Will greatly help in improving the perception of the group in general
> janta's minds. Many folks, including, Gayathri, Priti and others have
> brought it up from time to time. Guess we take this up a little more
> seriously :-)

To the end of having an India flavour to the name, one suggestion I
have is to have a "Translation" or "Indianisation" of the name
`LinuxChix` to `LinuxStri aka LinuxChix India`

In places such as FOSS.IN and freed.in, where people are more familiar
with the term LinuxChix, the primary name could be "LinuxChix India"
could be used, and in places where the word "Chix" is inappropriate,
the group could be introduced as "LinuxStri" -- to build the first
impression of the people being introduced to it.
I suppose that once they know what the group is all about, and an
image has been formed in their mind as to what this group's purpose
is, "LinuxChix" could be used. In this way, the negative connotations
of the word "Chix" would be dampened, and the valuable brand name
would be also be retained.

All in all, "LinuxStri" would not replace "LinuxChix", but would be a
synonym for "LinuxChix India".

Possibly, an Indianised logo could also be designed around this theme ;)

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan