[IndiChix] [RFC] Introduction to Linuxchix India - presentation slides

Atul Chitnis mail at atulchitnis.net
Wed Feb 6 17:23:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, Runa Bhattacharjee wrote:

> Ankita, Barkha and me have talks scheduled over the weekend and next week, on the same topic and it
> would be great to hear about things that we can focus on while presenting.

Great going!

However, I'd strongly suggest some more structure to the talk -
"Discussion" is the trap that many sessions like these fall into, and then
nothing comes out of it.

Every talk MUST have a clear agenda -

- This is what I am going to talk to you about
- This is what you will learn
- ...
- We have talked about this
- This is what we have learnt
- Questions (aka discussion)

It may sound redundant, but it is important. People must know what to
expect from a talk, and must know in the end what they SHOULD have learnt,
so that they can ask questions if something wasnt clear.

Most important is, of course, the central (...) portion - the meat of the
matter.

few points, but clear. What differentiates LCIN from a normal LUG? What
does LCIN do differently? How do participants benefit from these
differences?

As usual, it is important to ensure that the concept of contribution not
being just code is understood, but remember that every journey starts with
the first step - in this case usage.

While Ankita will probably not be facing a FOSS-unsavvy crowd, Runa and
Barkha may. But that does not remove the need to highlight that LCIN
attempts to provide an environment in which women can get used to the FOSS
world, usage, apps, and eventually (if so desired) contribution, in an
environment that is more friendly to them.

Hope this helps.

Atul

--
Atul Chitnis