[Indianlc] Linuxchix in Bangalore

Ankita Garg gargankita at WAWxu7gIhGg6d54rTLIhs5lhF3_vEzaqs_aYqhf0X6gYImcZ9yh9v_uZRU9CkvkS3NVM_gYn7SiMt98.yahoo.invalid
Fri Dec 14 08:36:35 UTC 2007

Hi All,

On Dec 14, 2007 12:45 PM, Vid Ayer <svaksha at ly8cJKHiWX9kr4JB6xrmgoe4aop-aXo8OQYGzn0_c9RRzxpb57q9Y6-kFAPHWsKfWj1sfhNPRSu_jSfs.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2007 11:27 AM, priya venkateshan <priyaven at Xw9_70Jtv-NFCiG7PuX5rX5gvcVbjajJm35iFbp4r3Dx92HPJUPIvQPD8WMNAacI1APeEqBSk84.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
>
>  > Hi,
>  > Great to hear about this.
>  > For starters...
>  > How about getting girls in engineering colleges interested in linux and
>  > linuxchix? I know for a fact that most people in Bangalore colleges don't
>  > use linux all that extensively, and the number is even worse among girls.
>  >

>  Not difficult, provided you are able to encourage your friends
> (irrespective
>  of gender) to start using Linux. Rather than a stranger talking about
> Linux,
>  it makes more sense for you to promote linux among your friends, and those
>  in other colleges. They will listen to a friend more as compared to a
>  stranger evangelising about freedom or the merits of the GPL.
>
>  You can talk to your HOD about it and ask them if they are willing to keep
>  lab session (which may be outside your curriculum, so you may not get any
>  marks for it and probably not many will want to attend. So be prepared for
>  negative response too.) and when you have decided the $subject (say
>  Openoffice) then we can get the appropriate 'chixpert to talk about it
>  ...thoughts ?

I agree with Vidya here. Talks might achieve only part of the
objective. Lab sessions are definitely more helpful. But, in the event
that we do not get the lab facility from the college, I would say we
go ahead with talks..atleast that would help in popularizing Linuxchix
and increase awarenes, which is equally important to us at the moment.
Besides, in the talk itself, we can include some demos (all this, iff,
lab not available).

Thoughts?

Regards,
Ankita