[Indianlc] Re: Technical help

Diabolic Preacher pintooo15 at nqZtl_kg_1lTzNK17e9szCcaBp9tqm81D-I1h3GLmhY7pvk0PAcTEGPSr0CDf82I5ewAX7MsNQnZvsX89A.yahoo.invalid
Thu Jan 12 19:25:59 UTC 2006

On 1/12/06, Diya Saxena <funnyprogramer at W_Mlcoq_ng_i0HrtEWi0kcAi3uSActGBjj01WrRx-3x_I6U0k8KQbHZDt8V9GnvbzpQ4BzuBv645C6E2g0Y.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> I am planning to write a few how tos of
> 1. Kernel compilation (do we really need one more?)
> 2. Kernel level debugging using kGDB and KDB
> 3. writing and compiling simple device drivers ( can i write better
> than rubini and corbett?)
> 4. User mode linux
> 5. sysfs

well i was thinking we were planning to do beginners documentation for
people who are making the switch over to linux or buying their new
machines for some 'home' user, but i guess this'd also help in the
long run. i'd plan to start something on our local lug's wiki site. i
know it'll be repetitive but just some practice with documenting and
stuff. one of the LDP weekly news editions i went through had an
interview with a lady whose first documentation submissions came from
the notes she used to tale while undergoing any process like
installation, compilation, etc. So an important thing for novices is
to note down in small diary or some thing...esp. the little answers to
questions that one may find confusing and may have got it solved by
asking someone. one time is ok, but in computers stuff going wrong and
the need to go through those processes again is invevitable. e.g. one
might want to constantly update the kernel from the one that came with
the distro, in such case as the procedure has a certain order and
method of carrying out the steps, it's better to take down notes on
what special params are affected. These later would form the basis of
the first docs of the CVS and as the docs are revised, they'll be more
comprehensive.

do u want to start with plain text files like RFC's

> Now can anyone suggest me what should I start with first, I mean where
> the documentation available is not adequate will be given the highest
> priority etc.

dial-up users with internal modem. linux guys just scare these people
off when they hear these people have been duped with one. i think they
need help.

--
Diabolic Preacher
As Is