mailing list rules..

Frederick Noronha fred at EP4qseE6TQnRZ1cDwKaXHn-XPzR3SWmT-GcmNVZhyaz2m89eGXyE4YN3EDByoqwVcpWVyrtKfGUfONZB5Q.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jan 2 20:33:58 UTC 2006

--- In Indianlc at yahoogroups.com, "Archana.S.R" <archu.oct at g...> wrote:

> So.. i want everyone to add points for the same. I dono how to go
about it.
> hope i get some valuable points to put in the new joinee welcome letter.
>
> and last but not the least..

LinuxChix Int'l has some very good rules. And I was myself impressed
by how simply they express things there:

http://www.linuxchix.org/content/docs/faqs/policy.html

OPENQUOTE

Are there any rules?
There are two:

    * Be polite
    * Be helpful

LinuxChix was founded in part due to the aggressiveness of existing
technical lists. If you do tell someone to read the manual, which is
sometimes the most useful answer to a technical question, do it
politely and at least tell them where to find the manual, and invite
them to come back with any questions that the manual doesn't answer
for them.

CLOSEQUOTE

"Be polite... be helpful" covers a lot of ground. While we have tried
to implement iron-clad rules for some of the lists I'm on (specially
the larger lists), there is always someone who can find a loophole. In
this context, just a simple rule as the one above makes a lot of
sense. To me. FN