[Courses] One last diversion on binary, and then I'll shut up for a while.

Christopher Howard christopher.howard at frigidcode.com
Wed Mar 7 23:08:36 UTC 2012

On 03/07/2012 02:05 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:

> asm is a built-in extension in GCC:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Extended-Asm.html
>
> However, asm itself is part of the C standard, though not with all of
> the extended functionality GCC gives it. I have a copy of a C99 draft
> draft which states:
>
> quote:
> ----------
> J.5.10 The asm keyword
>
> The asm keyword may be used to insert assembly language directly into
> the translator output (6.8). The most common implementation is via a
> statement of the form:
>
>   asm ( character-string-literal );
>
> ----------

For the sake of accuracy I need to mention that the above quotation from
the draft is from section "J.5 Common extensions":

quote:
The following extensions are widely used in many systems, but are not
portable to all implementations. The inclusion of any extension that may
cause a strictly conforming program to become invalid renders an
implementation nonconforming. Examples of such extensions are new
keywords, extra library functions declared in standard headers, or
predefined macros with names that do not begin with an underscore.