[Courses] C Programming For Absolute Beginners, Lesson 4: Getting Looped

Leslie leslie.brothers at verizon.net
Tue Mar 6 20:12:32 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 18:34 -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:

> HOMEWORK
>
> Modify the last example to display two columns of output that use the 'a' and
> 'total' variables.  Play around with spacing and line breaks.

Yay for Jacinta!  I wanted my columns to be aligned on the rightmost
digit, not the leftmost, but I couldn't figure out how to use the
conditionals (for adding an extra space before a one-digit number)
within the 'for-loop'.  I had given up on that extra formatting goody
until I read her helpful hint about the curly braces! Now my table looks
better, and here's the code:

//total.c

#include <stdio.h>

int main ()
{

int a = 0;
int total = 0;

printf ("\n\n");
printf ("       *******************************************\n");
printf ("       *                                         *\n");
printf ("       *         Two-column Table                *\n");
printf ("       *             by Leslie                   *\n");
printf ("       *                                         *\n");
printf ("       *                                         *\n");
printf ("       *******************************************\n\n");

printf(" \t\ta\t       total\n");
printf ("       ___________________________________________\n\n");

for (a = 1; a<=12; a=a+1)