[Courses] [python] Lesson 2: Loops, if, and beer

Don Crowder dondashguitar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 03:57:14 UTC 2011

On 06/24/2011 03:31 PM, Akkana Peck wrote:
> Today we're going to do some real programming:~
>
> 1. Your first programming assignment!
>     Write a program for the old "bottles of beer" song. It should print
>     something like:
>     99 bottles of beer on the wall
>     98 bottles of beer on the wall
>     97 bottles of beer on the wall
>     ... all the way down to 1.
>
>     Extra credit: make it print the number twice, e.g.
>     99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer

for i in range(99, 0, -1) :

     if i == 1 :
         print i, "bottle of beer on the wall", i, "bottle of beer"

     else :
         print i, "bottles of beer on the wall", i, "bottles of beer"

Note:  This taught me the importance of consistent indentation because
it didn't work the first few times I ran it and I had a tough time
figuring out why.

> 2. What does range(0, 10, -1) give?  (Try it.)

returns []

>     Any idea why?

Because when you count backwards from 0 there's no return.

> 3. How was the length of this lesson? Too much, too little or just right?

This lesson was WAY too short (I'm having a blast with it).  :)

> Problem 4 is optional -- it's a little harder, but give it a try,
> and if you don't get it, take a look at the answers other students
> post. But try it on your own first, if you can.
>
> 4. Write a loop using range() that prints out the first five numbers
>     as words:
>     one
>     two
>     three