[Courses] [python] Lesson 2: Loops, if, and beer

Sondra Schreibman sondra at nostarch.com
Fri Jun 24 21:46:19 UTC 2011

*Hi!

My name is Sondra. I'm running Python 2.7.1 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04. *

1. Your first programming assignment!
  Write a program for the old "bottles of beer" song. It should print
  something like:
  99 bottles of beer on the wall
  98 bottles of beer on the wall
  97 bottles of beer on the wall
  ... all the way down to 1.

  Extra credit: make it print the number twice, e.g.
  99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer

*for i in range(99,1,-1):
    print i, "Bottles of beer on the wall,", i, "bottles of beer"
print 1, "Bottle of beer on the wall,", 1, "bottle of beer"*

2. What does range(0, 10, -1) give?  (Try it.)
  Any idea why?

*It returns an empty set of brackets: [ ]
I think it happens because it's impossibly to count backwards from 0 to 10.
There isn't anything in that range.
*
3. How was the length of this lesson? Too much, too little or just right?

*I think it was perfect. Thanks for writing it!*

I don't know how to complete #4. I'm looking forward to seeing how others do
it!