[Courses] [python] Lesson 1: Hello world

Holland Heese holland at themarkovchain.com
Fri Jun 17 23:46:01 UTC 2011

Hello all!

Akkana, thank you for the course! I always wanted to learn a little
python but never had the force of will to stick with it without some
structure.

> ================= Homework =========================
>
> Normally I'll have programming assignments for homework -- some easy,
> some harder. But for this first lesson, I just have a few questions.
> Post your answers to the list -- if someone beats you do it, don't
> worry about it, you're not being graded on who answers.
>
> 1. I'm interested in hearing what version of Python everybody is running,
>    on which operating system, distro and version. Please post your results!
>    Especially if python3 is the default, or if you have any other problems
>    running the examples.

2.7.1 on Ubuntu 11.04 (x64)

> 2. Why are there two commas in
>     print "Hello,", name
>     ? What do you think the difference is between them?

The first is clearly the comma in the output, after playing around a bit
I'm going to guess that the comma concatenates the strings together, or
something like that.

> 3. Anyone know why the language was named Python?

I had always thought it had something to do with Monty Python.

Holland Heese