[Courses] [python] Lesson 9: More extras (requested topics)

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Tue Aug 16 17:12:32 UTC 2011

Leslie writes:
> There is nothing very advanced about this program, but the pictures are
> pretty.  I don't know whether they will make it through onto the list

Love it! They made it through the list, and the program ran fine
here (after I fixed some long lines that got broken by the email
system). Very fun!

I'm a bird fan too -- If you wanted to let the user ask to see
specific birds rather than a random choice, there's some code you
could borrow from one of my early Python programs, "tweet", for
playing bird calls. You type something like "tweet spar" and it
looks through all its birdcall files (using os.listdir()) for
anything matching that pattern, finds all the sparrows, and prints
them all and lets you choose which one you want, so then you can
type "song" if you want to hear the song sparrow.
http://shallowsky.com/software/scripts/tweet

I've often thought about adding photos to tweet somehow, but never
got around to it. Maybe I can borrow some of your code!

	...Akkana