[Courses] [Postgresql] What is PostgreSQL?

Valorie Zimmerman valoriez at zimres.net
Tue Nov 20 12:15:14 UTC 2007

On Monday 19 November 2007 6:26:11 pm Michelle M wrote:

::snip::

> I have two questions for you to send in your answers to the list, if you
> wish:
>
> - Give us a brief intro to yourself, and why you are taking this course
> - If you haven't already, think of a concrete project you'd like to use
> PG with. Share with us a brief synopsis of the project: the problem, the
> platform, the approach you'll think you'll take, and why you think PG
> might be a good fit. It should be something that will be fun, and
> perhaps a bit challenging for you.

I'm Valorie (valorie on IRC). I'm not very proficient in technical stuff,
although I did install Kubuntu on a new hard drive for my laptop. I'm sure my
son is relieved that I have IRC channels to ask Linux questions of, rather
than always interrupting his WoW sessions. :-)

My favorite music player, Amarok, is now set up with SQLite, but I do have a
very large music collection, and think either MySQL or Postgres would
probably be more stable than the default. Reading the howtos of installing
and setting PG were daunting, however.

Perhaps with the help of this course, I'll be able to set it up and get it
working with my music collection (14280 Tracks, 1249 Artists, 1159 Albums
according to Amarok).

> The project is important. It's been my experience that it's much easier
> to learn something when you have a concrete need, than just doing
> something in the abstract.

I hope this is a realistic use of the course.

Valorie
http://www.last.fm/user/valoriez/ on last.fm
Join the Linuxchix last.fm group: http://www.last.fm/group/Linuxchix