[Courses] [Spineful Living, lesson 5: The Hardest Nos]

Tracey C grrliegeek at elenari.net
Mon Apr 30 14:44:30 UTC 2007

On 4/30/07, Poppy Lochridge <poppychix at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2007, at 5:21 PM, Carla Schroder wrote:
> When my husband found out what they were offering me, the first thing
> he did was tell his friends. No-one has come to either of us yet
> looking for handouts, but when he told me he'd told them all about my
> offer, I cringed. The damage was done, so being upfront with my
> discomfort about it didn't seem like it would get me anywhere, and I
> didn't say anything. I think now that maybe I should have.... and
> that it's not too late and I should say something now anyway.
> Granted, the worst that's happened is that they tease him about
> having a "sugar momma" now that I make more, and their teasing
> doesn't bother me.

It's certainly not too late to say something. While there's not really any
use in giving your husband grief about what's already been done, you can
tell him you'd rather not tell anyone else. You never know what might happen
if he tells someone else about your salary. At the least, it will help
communication issues between you because he'll know how you feel about that.
In a broad sense, he'll get to know you, and what you consider to be
confidential better. In a more specific sense, he's less likely to spill the
beans about your finances to people in the future. :)

--
Tracey C