[Courses] Re: [Spineful Living, Lesson 4: Saying No!]

Sheryl gubydala at his.com
Sun Apr 29 05:25:53 UTC 2007

Ana Baik wrote:

> *However* - seeing as this is the Spineful Living course - I'd add
> that it's just as important to decide for yourself whether you want to
> pursue a suit, without feeling that you "have to".  It's likely to be
> a major commitment, and you have the right to say no if you don't feel
> that you can handle it, or if you just don't *want* to handle it.

I agree, and I did that myself in relation to a health issue.  But on the
other hand, there have been times I've been willing to take a risk or
dealt with something unpleasant head on because I was in a situation where
I felt someone needed to.

> Going back to the union thing, I just don't get the "rugged
> individualist" anti-union stance that Carla mentions.

Of course, some people are terrified that they'll be harassed or fired if
they try to join a union.  And although it's illegal, it does happen.

But basically I think a lot of people are brainwashed.  There's the
"Professional Attitude" scam I used to go along with, the idea that if
your management fouled up you would give up your free time with no extra
pay.  There was always some vague, "we'll take care of you if the project
is completed on time" promise.  It usually turned out like one project,
where I averaged over 72 hours/week for 3 months and got all of 3 days off
for it and was expected to fall down in gratitude.

I also think there's a strong thread of Libertarianism and the cockiness
of youth in the profession.  I think the major flaw of Libertarianism is
the notion that everyone has equal negotiating power, and if you believe
that then unions look like a scam I suppose.

Sheryl