[Courses] [Spineful Living- Basic Human Rights]

Valorie Zimmerman valoriez at zimres.net
Sat Apr 28 07:00:41 UTC 2007

On Friday 27 April 2007 06:33, you wrote:
> Way to go Valorie!
>
> I remember you bringing this up at an earlier point, and I just want to say
> that I'm so thoroughly impressed with you!  It takes a lot of guts to stand
> up for what you believe in, and you've done that; you've stood up for your
> child to people who are probably used to ignoring (and possibly minimising)
> such complaints, and you're making things change for the better.  This is
> such an awesome story and I'd love to hear the rest of it as it goes on.
>
> All the best,
>
> 	Jacinta

Thank you! I actually found it easier to stand up for my kid than I ever did
for myself, sad to say. However, I think "standing up" can get to be a
habit. :-)

I forgot to mention in my previous email how much support I got from PFLAG in
this entire ordeal. It's funny, because i joined PFLAG as a way to support my
son when he first came out. My support meeting sympathized with my sorrow and
rage, and helped me to contact the Safe Schools Coalition, and gently
encouraged me to move forward in confrontation. They have all offered to
attend School Board meetings, if that becomes necessary.
http://www.pflag.org, for those of you who are not familiar with them.

It is my desire that the Superintendent reacts pretty much as the high school
principal and counselor did, and immediately begins planning to create
change. However, I'm prepared to persevere, no matter what it takes. School
Board, suing, whatever. It helps that the State of Washington has
anti-bullying laws on the books.

Hopefully it will not be much longer before all school administrations see the
light, and work to create more positive and nurturing school environments.

Valorie